View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #1229
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Uien and Falowik

A shaft of sunlight illuminated a couple in a corner of the stables. Dust particles danced and swam in the shaft of light. The Elf woman's hair was turned gossamer in the rays. The man noticed and was moved by the beauty of her hair. She looked up to him above the work between them and smiled.

"The last ingredients are all we need now, Laurëatan."

"Are you sure they are necessary, Uien?"

She grinned and touched his nose with the tip of her long finger. "Fear not. I shall be the one to get them." She tipped her head back and her eyes looked vacant as she saw with her mind; Falowik knew what that look meant. "Derufin has finished his bath and grooming and is moving through the Common Room. I shall go see him now."

Falowik shook his head. "Oh to be an Elf." She smiled and rose. "Should I remain here?"

"Go where you like. You know that I can find you wherever you are."

"Of course." Falowik shook his head again. "Osanwë."

"I would that you allow me to teach it to you." She regarded him seriously.

"Nay. I would not be tempted to know the minds of others whose affairs are none of my business."

"That is a risk, I admit, but your words assure me it would not be so with you."

"Nevertheless, I would not know it. I need it not."

"Very well then. But come with me! The feast is laden outside the inn. Come and enjoy the smell of good food and the music. There is a table blessed with especial care that I think you will want to see."

He nodded and they walked together out of the stables and into the bright sun. When they came to the front of the inn, Falowik parted from Uien and examined the fare, and the singular table upon which so much care had been given. She found Derufin standing at the door to the inn, accepting something from a strapping young fellow who wore a big grin. Derufin grinned at the joke.

"Derufin! I greet you and wish you well on the day of your handfasting!" Uien cried as she came up to him. His eyes widened.

"Uien! How did you know?"

"Elves have their ways." She kissed him on his clean and fresh smelling cheek. "I am glad that you have recovered from your morning illness."

"Thank you!" He said, coughing into his hand shamefacedly. The young man with him laughed and elbowed him. "Ah! Excuse me, Uien. Allow me to introduce you to my soon-to-be brother by law, Sakal!"

Once the formal greetings and introductions were complete, Uien said, "I have a boon to ask of you, Derufin."

"Yes?"

"Let me pluck ten strands of your hair, from the roots. And no questions."

Derufin winced. "It sounds painful. Will I not look silly missing that much?"

"Nay," Uien laughed. "I will remove it painlessly and you will look none the worse."

"Pluck away, then!"

"My thanks!" She reached and took hold, counting off ten strands. "Fin tulolain othond." She plucked.

Derufin's eyes went wide. "Did you get any?"

"See?" She grinned, holding ten locks of his hair, roots and all, between her long, supple fingers.

"It did not hurt a wit!"

"'Twas the Elvish glammer she spoke, I warrant," said Sakal with a wink.

Uien winked at Sakal. "Now I must find Zimzi!" She left them.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-09-2005 at 11:11 AM.