View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avie
To skip to the low points John Noble 1/10 for really horrible cod-shakespearean overacting.
Erm, I liked that 'shakespearean overacting', as you put it...

Anyways, IMO the cast was one of the chief reasons why this movie rocked so everyone gets 10/10 (with a special mention to Sean Bean -- and I see that nobody so far is contradicting me on this so o-kay! He actually made Boromir a very likeable character, I like him way more than the book-Boromir! ). There are of course a few exceptions and I'll list them here:

Cate Blanchett (Galadriel) - 7/10 I don't know what's wrong with her here. I am a big fan of Cate Blanchett's and I saw most movies with her and enjoyed her performances a lot. In LOTR however, she didn't quite rise to the challenge: she was harsh when she should have been stern and determined, and awkward when she should have been simple and sweet. Also (this is the fault of the make-up artists, though) she's less beautiful as Galadriel than she is in real life (in my opinion).

Liv Tyler (Arwen) - 2/10 - I don't think she's right for the part. Still, she might have been able to pull off a decent Arwen if she would have just stood there and looked pretty in one of those charming dresses. But her expanded part made everything wrong. Her acting was whiny, superficial and her beauty was not at all elvish. There was no chemistry between her and Viggo Mortensen.

Hugo Weaving (Elrond) - 8/10 At times he looked more like an alien and less like an elf, especially when he arched those eyebrows in his original manner. There were also a few moments when he exagerated the emotion in his lines, like when he says to Aragorn in ROTK: 'The man who can wield this sword can summon a power greater than any that walks this earth...' You can almost see him shaking there.

Elijah Wood (Frodo) -9/10 Throughout TTT and ROTK his facial expressions were roughly the same from one scene to another...Of course, the monotony of the dialogue was partly to blame. But he had moments when he was really fantastic and made it all right, and all in all he pulled off satisfactorily what was undoubtedly a very difficult and demanding part.

Martin Czoskas (Celeborn) - 5/10 - insert Boromir's comment of his performance here.

That's all I think. The rest of the cast gets a 10 out of 10 and much worship from me.

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 01-06-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: messed up the quote tags...
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote