View Single Post
Old 05-24-2003, 10:06 AM   #20
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah, well that explains it. Dr. James Bonwick was a nineteenth century speculative historian, whose specialty was Egyptology. He, of course, worked without the benefit of modern archaeology, and he is equally known for his fanciful theories as he is for his research.

The story of the Partholons, Firbolgs, Formors, Tuatha De Danann and Milesians is contained in the Leabhar Gabhala, or “Book of Invasions”, part of the Mythological Cycle, a collection of Celtic mythology compiled and, of course, edited by 12th century Christian monks. The earliest origin for these myths is the late centuries BC, and these stories are based squarely on other similar Celtic myths from the continent.

The Firbolgs are the only above race whose existence is possible given what we know from modern archaeology, but it would be a stretch to connect the people of the Leabhar Gabhala to the pre-Celtic peoples of Britain. Such a claim, in the end, is supported only by the fact that the firbolgs of the Leabhar Gabhala are the most “human” of these mythical races.

The most interesting of the above races is the Tuatha De Danann, whose leading characters in the Leabhar Gabhala have direct counterparts with Celtic gods of other mythological cycles. Goibhniu is paralleled by the Welsh smith god, Gofannon from the Mabinogian. Ogma is paralleled by Ogmios, the Gaulish god of manners and eloquence. Nuadu is paralleled by the British god Nodens, and the Welsh figure Nudd. It is obvious that the 12th century monks de-deified a mythological race that was clearly divine in oral Celtic mythology.

It was a natural thing for the Celtic peoples to connect these mythical races of their popular culture with their landscape. English and Irish landscape is dotted by remnants of a rather mysterious pre-Celtic people. How much more would it have been in 250 BC. The Irish countryside was perfect for Celtic myth. For example, the mound temple of Newgrange was associated with the sidh of the Tuatha De Danann, and it was considered the home of Oenghus, the Celtic god of love. However, modern archaeology tells us that the temple of Newgrange was constructed by an ancient pre-Celtic people, circa. 3500 BC (before the pyramids, no less), and was part of a cemetery complex. What the Celtic people thought was a passageway of the Tuatha De Danann into the mystical Otherworld or the residence of a god of love, was in reality a gigantic cairn.

The mythology of the Celtic people, a people who kept no written records, possessed no scientific means of investigating cultures, and arrived rather late in comparison (between 400 BC and 250 BC), is simply not a good source of knowledge for peoples who had inhabited the Isles thousands of years prior to the arrival of the Celtic peoples. From Bonwick’s nineteenth century perspective the Leabhar Gabhala seemed to carry a great measure of authority for explaining the ancient peoples of Ireland. However, it is the mythology of comparatively late-comers that was further corrupted by the editing of 12th century Christians.

In short, Bonwick’s theories and opinions based on the Leabhar Gabhala do not pass the litmus test of modern archaeology. The Leabhar Gabhala tell us about the Celts, not the ancient peoples of the Isles, and it certainly doesn’t tell us anything about the origins of fair or dark haired people. The later is definitely one of Bronwick’s fanciful theories.

For information about the pre-Celtic peoples of Ireland, the following books will be far more enlightening than Bonwick’s:

Brennan, Martin. The Stones of Time; Calendars, Sundials, and Stone Chambers of Ancient Ireland.

Burl, Aubrey. Circles of Stone; The Prehistoric Rings of Britain and Ireland, From Carnac to Callanish; The Prehistoric Stone Rows and Avenues of Britain, Ireland and Brittany, and A Guide to the Stone Circles of Britain, Ireland and Brittany.

Flanagan, Laurence. Ancient Ireland; Life Before the Celts.

Thomas, Neill L. Irish Symbols of 3500 BC.

O’Kelly, Claire and Michael J. Early Ireland; An Introduction to Irish Prehistory, Newgrange; Archaeology, Art and Legend.

Just to clear some stuff up:

Quote:
Now Ferny I did not say the Celts were the first to settle Ireland…
You misunderstood me; I didn’t say you did.

Are you referring to Lucius Artorius Castus when you use the name Arthur Dux Bellorum? Lucius Artorius Castus was a Roman perfect in the late second century AD who fought a number of battles along Hadrian’s Wall against the Picts. He was given the title “dux” that means “leader”. While Lucius Artorius Castus was quite a guy, he alone can’t be the only historical figure that helped define the legendary and mythological King Arthur. What about Magnus Maximus and Ambrosius Aurelianus? Riothamus is probably the best candidate for the historical Arthur. Riothamus (5th century) was known as “supreme king” in England, and he led an invasion of the continent, was betrayed and defeated, and fled to a Burgundian town to die. Is it any surprise that that town was Avallon?

Edit: My wife, who’s the real archaeologist in the family, before telling me to stop being a know-it-all and to get back to work, suggested that I add to the book list:

Sherrat, Andrew. Economy and Society in Prehistoric Europe; Changing Perspectives.

Castleden, Rodney. The Stonehenge People; An Exploration of Life in Neolithic Britain, 4700-2000 BC.

Also, while I’m at it, a translation of the Leabhar Gabhala by Jeffrey Gantz is available in his Early Irish Myths and Sagas. I’ve searched the On-line Medieval and Classical Library and ORB but was unable to find an on-line text.

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Ferny ]