View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Child of the 7th Age's post

Bingo fidgeted impatiently as he shoved the last morsel of breakfast into his mouth. Although the lad normally returned for seconds and thirds, he did not intend to linger over his platter this morning. Bingo was almost too excited to speak. He had finally been invited by young Sondo to share in a grand adventure. Bingo really didn’t care where the lads were going or what they were doing. He had paid little attention to all the details. The important thing was that he was not being left out. The young Hobbit had risen early, packed his little satchel, and made sure that his bow and quiver of arrows stood nearby. Then he had done the same for his brother.

Bingo watched as his Aunt Hilda bustled back and forth between the kitchen and the table, carrying platters of hot cakes to be shared by her three offspring who were hungry young tweeners. Bingo reflected that it was as good a time as any for he and his brother to make their escape…..

“Aunt Hilda, I hope you won’t mind…. Just last night Cousin Melilot talked to me and suggested we stay with her a bit.”

Aunt Hilda looked back with a question on her face. “But I thought she and her husband were just getting settled into that small burrow, the one down by the river?”

“Yes,” continued Bingo, thinking as quickly as he could. “They need two young lads to help them unpack the furniture and parcels, and get things in order. Please, Aunt Hilda, we can help her.”

The night before, Hilda had been thinking how nice it would be if her widowed mother could pay a visit from the Southfarthing. She did not want to toss Bingo and his brother out the door, but they were staying in her only guest room. Hilda had considered asking them to sleep in the pantry, but this new suggestion seemed to fit in perfectly with what she had been considering. She looked at the two youngsters and smiled, “Yes, I suppose a visit to Cousin Melilot might be a good idea, especially if you two can be of help to her.”

“We’ll go this morning,” Bingo added. “As soon as we’ve helped you clean up.”

Within the space of an hour, Bingo and his brother were headed out the door of Brandy Hall, lugging their belongings with them, along with a generous wrapped luncheon packet that Aunt Hilda had provided. They quickly reached the large oak that marked the path where Cousin Melilot’s new smial stood. “Down there,” urged Bingo to his brother. “Go on. Just tell Cousin that I’m staying at Brandy Hall for a few more days to help Aunt Hilda arrange her library. I’ll come later.”

“But Aunt Hilda doesn’t have a library! And what if our kin start asking questions?” his brother objected. “Anyways,” he added more gently, “I don’t want you to leave me. Why can’t I come with you?”

“No, not this time. You weren’t asked. And for once I want to do something with Sondo. Anyways, no one will ask questions. They’ll just be glad we’ve gone somewhere else for a while. I’ll be back in a day or two. I promise. Don’t worry!”

His younger brother sighed, and reluctantly turned down the pathway that led to Cousin Melitot’s burrow. Feeling free and happy, Bingo raced down the other path that led towards the River. Ahead of him, he could see the raft bobbing in the water, and one or two Hobbit lads gathering their things together on the shore.

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-04-2005 at 02:57 PM.