View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Avie ... I adore Hugo Weaving, I have been somewhat in love with him since I was 13 and he was in a miniseries called Bodyline ... so I can only second Boromir's comments about him being a wonderful actor ( for an amazingly intelligent and sensitive performance look at Priscilla...).

However, if you separate the actor from the role I do agree with you in some respects ...in TTT particularly there was a slight "creepy dad" element that I found disturbing. While IMO, just about all the characters were demeaned in some respect by their film treatment ..(Boromir perhaps being an exception being more shown more sympathetically), I think Elrond's character suffered most. In the book he is so noble and puts himself last .. the film makes him rather selfish.

I thought it was quite clever casting .... he has the right colouring and those wonderful eyes, and although I dislike Liv Tyler,it looked plausible that she was his daughter (although he is no where near old enough in reality!), and I reckoned as a Half elf he might show more signs of aging than a full blood... and he looked really good in armour *thud*.

One thing I will say for the film is that they do seem to have made an effort to make the families have a plausable resemblance although I am surprised they didn't make sean Bean lose the accent that blew the whole thing... but then he kept it even to play Macbeth on stage in London....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote