View Single Post
Old 04-02-2002, 03:42 PM   #9
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Thanks for the parody on those gross sci-fi-fantasy wannabes, Kalessin! Lol, i really had a good laugh reading that.

Quote:
More generally, for every LotR or Philip K D1ck masterpiece there are 10,000 Star Wars/Trek/other dire spinoffs ... or am I just imagining it?
I think that books like those--the cheap, trite, banal attempts at being like Tolkien--those are what gives the whole scifi/fantasy genre a bad name. Those are the books that cause people not to take the genre seriously. It IS hard to get people to understand that Tolkien books are NOT like that at all, that they are "emotionally driven" (as someone said already) profounnd and meaningful and full of wisdom. People think that just because it's fantasy, it isn't relevent to life and is all superficial. That's not true at all, and i believe that the LOTR books contain an incredible amount of wisdom, as much, if not more than other classics. But how we can get the general public to see that, I don't know. Also, like someone already said, the fantasy genre isn't the only one being discriminated against, and it's not only fantasy that produces those predictable, trite dime novels...the same goes for crime, mystery, suspense, romance, etc. The truth is...it's hard to get anyone to like a book or a genre if they haven't read the book themselves. I know that we shouldn't let the "mindless masses" bother us and affect us, but i do admit its hard not to be frustrated and annoyed when people revere books like "A Beautiful Mind" just because it seems like it's the "right" thing to do in order to seem mature. These narrowminded people, who just want to LoOK good, just want to LOOK mature and profound, these people reject fantasy/scifi/etc because to them it seems "childish" and juvenile and superficial...they discard the genre because books like "A Beautiful Mind" are JUST sOO much more meaningful.[sarcastically] In their race to look wise and mature, they don't even give anything else a chance.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote