View Single Post
Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 PM   #3
tar-ancalime
Shade of Carn Dûm

tar-ancalime has just left Hobbiton.
And I'm expecting some shoes thrown at me for this:

I liked the Elves at Helm's Deep. As a matter of fact, I liked most of PJ's handling of the Rohan story in TTT (Orlando Bloom's regrettable shield-surfing notwithstanding).

First of all, I liked that everyone simply made for Helm's Deep. It's simpler than introducing Dunharrow, it keeps the principal characters together, and it doesn't really detract from the progress of the story.

Bringing in the Elves served two purposes in my opinion: first, it brought back Haldir, and in a story with this many characters it is imperative to "use" everyone you introduce. Haldir also tied the second movie to the first. The second purpose of bringing in the Elves was to show that Elves are more than pointy-eared naysayers (I'm thinking of Agent Elrond saying, "Men are weak!").

And boromir88, I'm with you about Arwen rescuing the hobbits. I like Glorfindel as much as the next person, but as I mentioned above regarding Haldir, it wouldn't have done PJ any good to introduce yet another character at that point in the story.