View Single Post
Old 04-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #64
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Quote:
The good lady also confirmed my speculation that a great deal of scholars have personal grudges toward the works of Tolkien, because his stuff is actually being read by a variety of people, as many scholars' own works are gathering dust. It seems that most academics' inability to reach a wider audience creates automatic (though rarely, if ever, admitted) resentment toward a book such as the LOTR. See, kids, even "smart" people aren't above envy!
Wow, i haven't been here for a while. Great thread! I'm writing an essay on Tolkien, actually , for my IB extended essay, and that's a really interesting point...do you think you could tell me where to find any sources that verify the claim you made above? If you could, or if the lady you talked to knows, that'd save me a whole bunch of time, so i was just wondering if you might be able to help me out just a little. Thanks anyway! I'll be back~

[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Jessica Jade ]

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote