View Single Post
Old 12-02-2004, 04:29 PM   #591
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Marigold

The stars were out. Marigold saw the humans to sleep and went outside. It was cold but Marigold needed no cloak, and wore none now. The two Elves stood beneath the stars, their breath steaming before them so that they seemed like horses eager to run with the wind on the open plain to the south.

"Eärendil sails bright above this night, does he not?" she said.

Erebemlin and Taitheneb turned to her as if woken from a dream, and acknowledged her presence.

"The humans sleep dreamlessly this night," Taitheneb said.

"'Tis one gift I can give them."

"Lady," Erebemlin said, "you are a mystery. Your mind is closed to us, your place here has gone unnoticed these last few days, right beneath our noses; 'tis as if you are not really here."

"Do you believe that, Silmaethor?"

"Nay. The air you breathe turns to mist as for anyone. But - if I may be so bold - and please do not be offended - what are you?"

"I am Entwash's daughter. Ulmo is my father."

Erebemlin looked stricken the moment he heard her words, and Taitheneb no less so. They fell to one knee. "You honor us, Lady."

Marigold laughed lightly. "Do me no obeisance, I am just a humble river daughter, doing the little bit of good I can in my small realm." As they rose to their feet, her head tilted. "But tell me, Erebemlin, why do you, one of the first born, feel shame?"

He shook his head, confused. "I know not of what you speak, Lady."

"You watched me before, when we were within, and I knew it, and returned your gaze but a moment, and you seemed ashamed."

Taitheneb smirked and looked to the stars, wandering off a ways. Erebemlin noticed, and his brow furrowed. He looked out to the swamp as if he would find his answer there.