View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 AM   #27
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barrow-Wight
I don't know anything about astrology, but I know a bit about the calendars used by Hobbits and how they relate to our current calendar. When Tolkien said 1 March, he meant the first day of the third month of the Hobbit calendar (Rethe), which coincides with the 22nd of February on our modern Gregorian calendar. This still places him within the bounds of our current understanding of Pisces (19 Feb - 20 Mar), but only by a few days.

Likewise, Frodo and Bilbo shared the birthday of 22 Sep (22nd day of the 9th month), which corresponds to 14 Sep on our calendar. This would put the two hobbits firmly within the sign of Virgo (8/23 - 9/22) instead of right on the last day of being a Libra.

My question is, "Do birthdates that fall near the border of two signs share some characteristics of both signs (in Aragorn's case, mostly Pisces but a bit of Aquarius), or do the dates of a sign strictly confine a person to that sign?"
Don't worry, this is a common question of both seasoned astrologers and beginners alike. Good point with Frodo and Bilbo... But, i really don't think they are the Virgo type. They seem more Librean. It's characteristics like these that are very useful for people in Bilbo and Frodo's position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What makes a Libra and Virgo. How they are different.
Many might think that signs that are close together relate to each other mildly... unfortunately, this is not always true with some signs...

Virgo: More of a Perfectionist (of both ideas and people and themselves)
Disappointment, however, can harden you into a cynic and a skeptic. Virgo consequently becomes quite critical with self as well as circumstances, due to the effect of such disappointments on a sensitive and discriminating nature. (Astrologycom)

It is not unheard of for you to use guilt as a weapon. Helping others to improve is one thing, my dears, but pushing them toward goals of perfection they cannot hope to accomplish is quite destructive, as well as impossible. (Astrologycom)

The planet Mercury, governing our intellect and communicative faculties, rules Virgo, where tradition also places the house of its exaltation, so Virgins have a truly intellectual, critical and analytical approach to life. Communication is important and you love books, magazines, and writing. (Astrologycom)

Libra: Has a habit of indecision...
Emotional, physical, and psychological pleasure comes to you from beauty in all its forms. Books, music, flowers, and perfume are typical delights. If your environment is less than pleasing, you can become unhappy without even realizing that your surroundings may be responsible for your despondency. (Astrologycom)

Librans are also subject to interminable hovering between alternatives, or inability to make firm decisions, especially under pressure, when you can be pushed by others into taking steps you later regret. (Astrologycom)

Contrast: Well, as you can see from some of the examples there are differences between signs that are close. The last note about Libra seems to point a finger at Frodo. If you remember, Boromir was quite persasive in getting Frodo to go with him, luckly Frodo weighed his advantages and disadvantages. Also, i really do not see Frodo or Bilbo using guilt as a 'weapon', they tend to use more along the ideas of words or quotes said by that someone...This also can be distinguished by what elemental sign they are. Libra(Air) = intellect and ideas, Virgo(Earth) = material things or concern and security. But, the idea of merging these two signs sounds very close, if we can make a call. But, then which one are they? or are there diferences? (ex. one might be Sun sign: Virgo, Moon sign: Libra, and the other the opposite?)

This will be left up to debate later on, after we have discussed the Pisces essay.

~Ka~

For the BW:
Also, just for reference questions, the info. I found on Aragorn's birthdate came from Appendix B. I wanted to ask the Barrow Wight if this is in Shire reconing or Steward's reconing? And would if it was in Steward's reconing would it be different? I know that Steward's reconing has close to about 365 days, which in times of peace, the Stewards tried to perfect. Until Mordor interupted their studies...

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-18-2004 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Punctuation and other Misc.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote