View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 12:16 PM   #60
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

I loved The Dark Is Rising series. They're fascinating because while having a lot of arthurian elements to them, the idea is original and it keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next.

I read Sword of Shannara a long time ago, and was very, very disappointed with it. Not only was it a rip-off of LOTR, it wasn't even a GOOD rip-off. It's a mystery to me why his books seem to be everywhere and why people actually read them. It sort of makes sense if they were published shortly after JRRT's death when people were really wanting more, but it still doesn't explain why they seem so well-liked now. I once met a lady who was a HUGE fan of Terry Brooks' writing, and she couldn't see how similar Sword of Shannara was to LOTR. She said she didn't really think it was...And I just grunted and left it at that because she was my dad's friend and a nice person. If she had been someone I didn't like, I think I would have been much more assertive.

Another recommendation for those who want some interesting fantasy...
Ursula K. Le Guin has just come out with a new book, Gifts . It isn't connected in any way with her Earthsea novels...and it is a very interesting and beautiful read. It's about this world where family groups each have their own particular gift of power: Some can communicate with animals, others can heal, and still others can kill, completely destroy, or cause a wasting sickness. The story is about two young people, a boy and a girl, who reject what their society has become. It's really fascinating, and it made me think. I believe it is a book for younger audiences (I found it in the teen section of my library) but there is nothing that would make it less interesting for adults who don't mind reading about younger people. This one gets a thumbs up from me, and I would recommend it to just about anyone.