View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #15
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch-King
My fellow Barrow-downers, I present to you the Balrog Theorem, proving mathematically that Balrogs do not have wings.

First, some derivative information using quotes:

"His enemy [the Balrog] halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings... The fire within it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly onto the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height and its wings were spread from wall to wall."

Now, my theorem:

If shadow=wings, then wings=shadow. If the wings spread, then the shadow spreads. Concordedly, vis-a-vi, ergo, when the wings stretch from wall to wall, the shadow, which is the wings which are the shadow, does so as well. It's a paradoxyl simile. Thus there are only figurative wings, and no literal wings.
Yes, yes, yes... i get it. But, did you ever think of it in a metaphysical aspect? i won't lecture you, only explain so do not quote this to threaten me. Thank you. anyway, among metaphysics it is believed that when you are in the astral field (the sub-concious realm) you have wings, much like your aura (life energy) which your wings take after. Knowing this, how i precieve your first direct quote is that Tolkien is explaining how the Balrog is basically, "gathering power" from himself. "The fire within it seemed to die, but the darkness grew" sounds much like blowing on coals doesn't it? It gives the illusion that it is dying out but, when you blow carbon dioxide on it then begins to catch. As for the "double shadow" it can be seen as a merge or completion of this step of both the wings and aura. My reason for the Balrog "gathering power"? Well, if you were in Moria for that long and hadn't been that active for ages wouldn't of you stopped to gather yourself together?

thank you for letting me share. you may become POLITE critics now... thank you.