View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 PM   #13
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Are you entitled to your opinion? Definitely. Just...don't proclaim it on a board devoted to Tolkien please.
I disagree a little actually, Immy. Not that I am in favour of an all-out flame war against all things Potter, but it does relate to the context. For example, if some topic starts:

Hi, jst sayin tht, like, Harry Potter *drool* wizards are, like, soooo much betta thn the wizards in Lord of the rings,c os they dont actually use, like, proper magic. I mean, lord of the rings wizards don't even use magic.

Now, whilst this topic isn't really worth responding to, for the sake of the example, we must press on: in response to this, I think it would be acceptable to include some opinion of your own about Harry Potter itself - do not engage in a flame war, it does not help things! But then, this is a discussion forum - and discussion is all about exploring different viewpoints. Opinion generally helps, y'know

Oviously, Harry Potter is the other most popular fantasy/'magic' series which has been talked about in the last few years, especially being as the books do seem to have alot which is easy to compare, and as the films came into direct competition with each other: the two are easily comparable, and alot of people seem to have taken the opinion that sides must be taken rather than joining in one big sci-fest of magic (aww, harmony in all the geeky wizarding community (joking!*ducks flying objects*)) This is where the problem comes in: it can easily errupt into a slightly volatile subject from innocent intentions, where with other series it might not. For example, some time ago there was a topic comparing the trials of Frodo the Ring-bearer, and Will, the main character and bearer of the infamous Subtle Knife in Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy. These two characters are really incredibly similar in the responsibilities they have to bear - but it was nowhere near as likely to errupt as, for example, if you compared Frodo's burden with the burden that Harry carries with the scar, his name, and his history. The topics have been discussed so often that they can very rapidly become repetitive to some participators and develop into 'my character's better than yours' flamewars with anti-maturity.

So I think that, no, opinion should be allowed - but keep it related, and don't descend into the murky depths of flame

("fairy Harry Potter karblasto wizards" - genius. I shall be storing that one up for later use )