View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well since I have been quoted twice, I would like to put on record that I am actually a Harry Potter fan - I thought book 5 needed a good edit but I was up at the crack of dawn that 21st June to buy the wretched thing. The point that I was trying to make was that there is a different treatment of magic in the two books - magic is not used to repare houshold items or cook in Tolkien.......

If you regard that as an attack on Harry Potter then that is up to you. I am sure JK will cry all the way to the bank. I love Harry, but as it happens I do think Tolkien is in a different league. I also think that there are greater writers (though perhaps few greater storytellers or creative geniuses) than Tolkien - and I have said that on the downs and survived to tell the tale.

If the books are so good they will stand a little criticism ... if you feel they cannot stand up to criticism.. well go figure...... And if you think what I said is "blasting", then I think that is a distorted view.

It is natural to compare books to other books - I don't see why we should be censored to protect HP............

This will be a very bare board if we are forbidden personal opinions...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 11-04-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote