View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 10:08 AM   #41
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien don't know why I'm doing this...

Quote:
Yes, to a degree. But I question whether the "wisest of all" would have spoken the words requiring the apology in the first place. In the wisdom stakes, Galadriel trumps him by recognising the rashness of his words. And I can't imagine Elrond speaking so rashly (OK, he is Half-Elven, but you get the point). He is undoubtedly wise, but the wisest?
Are not even the wise allowed to make mistakes? Celeborn has been around for a very long time -- I'm sure he does not have fond feelings for Dwarves, considering their race slaughtered Thingol, his kinsman. Also he had expected to be able to speak with Gandalf and when he learned that he had fallen in Moria because of a balrog, I'm sure that he can be pardoned for a bit of anger and frustration, especially with the Ring and the rising strength of Sauron to consider as well.

Simply, my point is this: it must have taken great humility to apologize to a dwarf. Humility, to me, is a sign of wisdom -- probably one of the greatest forms of wisdom. Humility is contrary to pride, which has been a prominent vice in all of the "bad guys" -- and as such, pride was their downfall. To me, humility is astonishing so wise and great a lord. All in all though, we don't know enough about Celeborn to judge him on this little incident.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote