View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #34
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
The only time I hear a real change in viggo's accent is in the room across the road from the Pony in Bree, where his 'Sauron the Deceiver' speech sometimes goes mid atlantic.

But I personally believe the actors did a great job with their accents, especially Elijah Wood. I don't remember him once going back to his yank accent. Maybe Sean Anstis did a few times, but not enough to spoil my enjoyment. (and I'm half English / Irish)

I'm seen countless films where people can't speak the accent correctly, mainly when they have to use an Southern Irish one. To me, this is one of the hardest accents to convey correctly. (The only person in TV/films I've seen do it perfectly is Paul Whitehouse as the farmer in the Fast Show)

A 'posh' English accent is not that hard to do really, but I think the guys get it pretty much right.

PS I liked the radio 4 lotr adaptation where they had Strider start off with a West Country accent when first speaking with the hobbits (probably in an attempt to blend in with the locals at Bree) and then it slowly changes into the more 'Posh' accent he finishes off with.

PPS Great movie accents of our time:

Dick van dyke in Mary Poppins (as mentioned earlier in this thread, um didle didle didle um diddy eye)

Kevin Costner's mid-atlantic Robin Hood

Sean Connery's Scottish accented Irish man in The Untouchables

Keanu Reeves's English (not!) accent as Harker in Dracula (though the lovely Winona Ryder did a great job)

and many others no doubt........
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote