View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #16
Witch_Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Witch_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Witch_Queen Send a message via MSN to Witch_Queen Send a message via Yahoo to Witch_Queen
The day had seemed long to Thranduil. "Ok, we're going to set up camp here for the night. Nefal, you shall take first watch.Uragonia, you will relieve Nefal in a few hours. Sleep well tonight men, for tomorrow we go after the spiders." Thranduil turned to Nefal, and pulled the young elf aside. "Nefal I'm trusting you to keep our back safe tonight. If you see anything out of the ordinary, alert me and we will wake the others. Don't let me down. " Thranduil knew the elf's spirits rose.

Heading towards his own little area to be away from the rest of the others, Thranduil heard footsteps behind him and turned to see Runia behind him. "Runia, I know your father will not let me down. After Nefal returns from his watch, Uragonia will make sure our journey doesn't end tonight. I know you are worried about your family." Thranduil placed his hand on Runia's shoulder, "Your son will grow up with both his father and grandfather to be there with him."
I can't promise him that. I don't even know what will happen tonight. We can't allow the spiders to get us while we sleep. I will hurt myself if anything happens to Runia he's like a son to me.

Out of the corner of his left eye Thranduil thought he saw movement. Taking his hand off of Runia he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword. Runia noticed that something was afoot and unsheathed his sword. Keeping their breathing slightly down the two elves began heading towards the movement placing the front of their boot on the ground and then the back part. What light that was coming through the tree tops glinted off the metal of their swords.

Thranduil and Runia figured the movement was that of one of the others. Putting their swords away, Runia shouted out to the shadow, "Show yourself." Nothing happened so the two of them turned to walk back to the others. Suddenly out of the darkness a giant seven legged spider jumped out of the darkness. Realizing that they were wrong the two of them turned only for Runia to feel long apendages wraping around his body. Thranduil figured that he needed to alert the others so he began calling everyone. "SPIDERS!"

Within seconds everyone was there and Thranduil knew Uragonia was only worried about his own son. Bound on rescuing the elf Uragonia headed after the seven legged spider. All he wanted was to save his only son. "Runia, where are you? If you can hear me say something." Off in the distance Uragonia could hear the sounds of the others fighting. Still walking forward, Uragonia walked into a spider web and looked up to see a big ball of spider silk. "Runia!" Doing his best to climb the web Uragonia attempted to cut the ball down. Once Runia was free Uragonia realized that his son was safe and the cost of one of them surviving would mean the death of the other. "Runia go back to the others, I will be right behind. No matter what, Don't look back."

The two elves began running towards the sound of the group. Runia could hear his fathers rough breathing from behind him. Suddenly the sound behind him became a howl and Runia stopped to turn but heard his father, "Runia keep going, DON'T LOOK BACK!" Running with tears streaming out of his eyes Runia meet up with the rest of the group. Looking at Thranduil he said, "They got him, they got my father." The tears wouldn't stop. He had spent his whole life with his father by his side and now he would have to go on the journey without his father to keep him company.

Thranduil turned to face the rest of the group. "Come on men, the spiders have taken one of our own. Its time to take them." Without looking at what direction they headed, the group decided to follow the group of spiders that had attacked them. "Runia, we go to avenge your father."

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:42 PM.