View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 AM   #29
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
(To note, I am not criticising the mentioned actors. I am just arguing that there's no real excuse for not getting an accent right. Please argue with me. )
Well, I for one won't argue with you. I agree. And I'm not criticising the actors either (well, not much anyway); but there were two dialect coaches in the team. I figured they were there to help with the Elvish language and the pronunciacion of the names, but they messed up here as well. Have you noticed that names like Mordor or Gandalf are mispronounced? Chris Lee can tell them that the 'a' in Gandalf is pronounced like the vowel in "come', but the majority of the cast will still pronounce it as in 'came', which would be bearable, but for a minority of the cast who pronounces it correctly and so you have two different ways of pronouncing it - and even the same character might use both of them at one point or another in the story: I'm going to pick on of poor Viggo again, because I'm almost sure he pronounces Gandalf in both ways. It may sound like nitpicking, but it sure takes away a bit of the realism of the story; it's these little details that somehow count.

SPM - I stand corrected, if you as a Brit tell me that Sean did a better job with accents than Elijah. Although I still hold that this is not how it sounds to my profane ears.