Thread: Cellar Door
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #36
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
Well, I say revert to English... it's a prettier language than the garble most people consider speech around here.
My point was that, as fond as I am of my own central New York slur, listening to everyone else attempt to sound differently, without ever really communicating anything, is like slogging through a mud pit. You keep trying [to listen] in hopes that when you get to the end, there'll be something that made it worth the effort. Only usually there isn't. Kids around here get too caught up with talking like their favorite singers or actors, or whatever, and they quite communicating... they're just talking. If I have to hear the words "Oh no you di'int" one more time...

Language is a beautiful thing, no matter what your dialect. Communication is probably the greatest achievement of humans ever (with the possible exception of chai latte ), and I just hate to see it used... how do I say it... pointlessly. I think that's the word I'm looking for...

Fea