View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! The 7 deadly sins vs. The 7 heavenly virtues.

I'd like to discuss how Tolkien uses these 2 "virtues" in his books. The Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Heavenly Virtues.

The Deadly Sins- Easy to remember, all you have to remember is PEGLAGS.
Pride
Envy
Gluttony
Lust
Anger
Greed
Sloth

The Heavenly Virtues- I believe the word I'm looking for is acronym (English people help me out) but, there's no acronym for the heavenly virtues, like there was for the Deadly Sins.
Faith
Hope
Charity
Fortitude
Justice
Temperance
Prudence

There have been many threads I have found on discussing what was the use of the Fellowship, since it sort of broke apart in 3 chapters, what was the reason for the Fellowship? Well, maybe here we can find WHY the Fellowship broke apart. Did they do a lot of the "deadly sins" and not the "heavenly virtues." For it is said disobeyal of the heavenly virtues will leave you to damnation, or committing of the seven deadly sins will do so too. So, maybe here we can find out how the Fellowship weighs on the "deadly sins" vs. "heavenly virtues."

Or maybe we can find out why people like Morgoth, Sauron, or Saruman were in a way "doomed" to die. Where we have people like Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, who all triumph.

Or maybe, you don't believe like I do, maybe you don't think the deadly sins and the heavenly virtues have any effect in the stories.

Last edited by Boromir88; 10-10-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote