View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 06:37 AM   #78
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Raen rode on in silence. He was worried about Hama; the man was acting resolute and strong in order to impress Sandrina - and no harm was done in that. However, it was obvious that he was badly injured - perhaps near death, in fact - and pretending to be tough and resiliant was not always a prudent path to take in such a situation. Adding to the discomfort of the ranger was the fact that he now felt conciencious around Sandrina; had spent the last quarter hour lavishing Hama with gratefulness for his bravery and sympathy for his injury. Why do you care? You are a ranger, and he is a man. It is his place, not yours, to be Sandrina's hero.

Raen pondored the last statement in his head for a while. Had it not been he that had gone in first to check things out? If they had followed Hama's advice, they might all be dead now. But because he was standing beside Sandrina, a man the ranger would have easily slaughtered turned Hama into her savior. And there is nothing wrong with that! He fought bravely, and saved her life, as did you... The last statement was true; there was no denying that. Then why did he still feel bitter resentment? As a ranger he had done great deeds before without getting recognition - merely floating away from whatever he had accomplished. That was his way, and the way of all his kin.

Now, Raen mused, it was time to allow Hama to lead the group. Frankly, the ranger was tired of giving direction to a man that clearly wished he had never been born, let alone entered this company. Besides, this is not my place. I should never have joined them, and risked my life for this snide man who struts about like a general, constantly reminding us of his time in the King's Royal Guard... Then something caught Raen's attention. Looking carefully at the ground, he was able to pick out partially erased hoof-marks. They had gone this way, that was certain. But the ranger was intent to keep the information to himself - after all, now it was Hama's perrogative to notice features such as this.