View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

Not quite fitting into the new Rock 'N Roll category but still considered "too loud" by many elders of the Shire was the brotherly trio Huanson. They exploded into the Shire with their first hit, MMMBeer, the only Huanson song ever taken to heart by the majority of adult Hobbits. Their fan base was, of course, the screaming female horde, though many young male Hobbits derided the band, saying they "look like Elf-maids." For about two years they held the young female population of the Shire in thrall with such songs as Where's The Ring?, Redbook (Where Did Frodo Go) and Man From Meduseld, before quietly slipping out of sight. Several years passed before they resurfaced with the album "This Time Around, I'll Bake An Extra", with a sound that was more mature and slightly cynical in the area of romance. Many of their original fans found them "too different," and Huanson never regained their former iconic position on the BillBoffin Top 100. Many of the elder 'tweens enjoyed the new music, however, and spoke often to others about the quality of such songs as Save Me (A Piece), Dying To Be The King, Runaway Rhûn, and Wish That I Was There (Tirion). Once again, several years passed before Huanson released another album. "Underneath (Erebor)" was recieved better than their sophomore release, with a cleaner sound and the earlier cynicism removed. They still showed an uncanny ability to write songs that touched on what all Hobbits hold dear, such as Strong Enough to Breakfast and Misery (No More 1420), as well as songs that showed knowledge of the wider World, like the title track Underneath (Erebor), Get Up And Go To Rivendell, Dancin' In The Wild and the moving Beren/Lúthien ballad, Lost Without Each Other. They may not be as frighteningly popular as when they first started, but Huanson has shown to be more enduring than similar bands like The Bagshot Boys.