View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #495
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
another 'just a minor point'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
The choice that Aragorn presents to Éomer is a stark and obvious one: me or Sauron; right or wrong; good or evil. The story presents up with the same stark choice: accept M-E morality or don’t
Um, is it that easy? Is it not about trust rather? The reader knows who is Aragorn, Eomer does not - just a ragged cloak, and bright mail underneath. It rather comes down to 'trust/do not trust' at that moment, than to 'choose Aragorn/Sauron' dichotomy. It is always estel with Aragorn, but, so he is the King who opened the 'gate of night' and 'is victorious' and whose victory those of the 'guard [that] was not vain' should praise in psalm.

Beauty and the Beast, remember why Beast is beast - cruelty, yes, pride yes, but lack of trust too. I refer to Walt Disney cartoon, yes, the original is a bit different.

I believe we all met such a choice of 'trust/distrust' in real life, the bright mail underneath omitted. But than, it is Tolkien to let us see some ends, for Eomer on the 'green grass' there is no previously provided data. Bright mail, so what? One can be bought, stolen, faked, surely?

PS

Bb, I trust I never used word 'objective' in this here thread

Nice definitions, by the way, my desire is satisfied. I believe you pinned down the salt of our debate - do we seek a destination or just having a pleasant walk? 'Canonicity' in this light will be 'do we need a guide or can manage it ourselves?' Excellent, my compliments

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote