View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 05:23 PM   #40
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
I was at Wal-mart just recently buying fabric and I stumbled upon a pattern with potential for a Hobbit costume... for only $1.74! Needless to say I bought it, and with a few color modifications it could make a nice Hobbit lassie costume. The pattern can be found on simplicity.com; #8855. There are two different dresses you can make... I would choose Dress A for a Hobbit lass costume. As far as modifying the colours, I'd choose a bright colour for the skirt (green, blue, etc.), a darker shade of the same colour for the vest, and the blouse could remain white or you could make it the same colour as the skirt. The hat I would discard, and the shawl could or could not be made, depending on personal preference of the maker.

I'm anxious to be making my Hobbit lassie costume, but I need to find time to run down to Wal-mart, and aside from that the pattern does take up quite a little bit of fabric. Nevertheless...

I made an Elvish costume once, as well, but I didn't devote very much energy to this and I just went by a thrift store, picked up a dress that was very Elvish-looking save the puffed sleeves, and when I got home I replaced the sleeves. The fabric was a lovely green, which seemed appropriate for an Elf, and while the costume turned out all right I fear it looked more like the green dress Eowyn at one point wears in the film in oppose to the Elvish outfit I wanted!

Alas, I never had the courage to go to one of the films dressed up.