View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've never been to the US but from what I've read Appalachia sounds fantastic and unearthly. Someone's going to shatter my illusions now, I can just see it!

In the UK, there's a lot of strange walks you can take. Boggle Hole in North Yorkshire is a fairy glen leading straight down to the sea, which I think of as very elven. You can read descriptions of it in AS Byatt's Possession. Or you could visit the real Green Dragon Inn at Hardraw Force in North Yorkshire. I can always recommend walking around Malham, too, as long as you don't go at weekend!

Cornwall provides some very 'hobbity' walking. The little lanes are very narrow and edged with steep stone banks, covered in vegetation - lethal for cars, but wonderful for walkers as you see so many plant species, and occasionally lizards. Speaking of lizards, you are guaranteed to see these on the Goonhilly Downs in Cornwall, with the added bonus of feeling you are on the Barrow Downs. Unfortunately, you do have to look away from the huge radar station (unless you like that kind of thing).

I also like Stanton Moor in Derbyshire, which has an ancient feel. Here you find the Nine Ladies stone circle, hidden among the trees. This place has just been saved from quarrying, thankfully.

Lancashire has a lot of hobbity places, well away from the towns, and it is said that Tolkien may have drawn his inspiration for The Shire from around the Ribble Valley. There are a few hidden away places well worth a visit, including the tiny village of Slaidburn which is hidden in a steep valley and has a pub called The Hark to Bounty. Going West from here you'll also come across Dunsop Bridge, and then the Trough of Bowland, where you could spend all day walking round and imagining yourself in Middle Earth. Move on from here and you should come to Quernmoor, where you can go up a castellated tower and survey the view for miles.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote