View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #37
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Enca thanks for mentioning 1984 and am sorry you didn't enjoy it (may I ask why not?) but I love being an Orwellian!!! hehehehe.

I just hate having to read at the same pace with a class -- which I think is the main thing alot of us lose interest in alot of these amazing books. -- InklingElf
I know! I usually read the whole book while everyone is discussing it in class and then space out for the rest of the several weeks we spend on it.

I didn't like 1984 because it had a very unhappy ending. I liked it when Winston and Julia were getting away with their happy secret lives, but then the fact that they were caught and broken just ruined it for me. I love stories about a couple of people beating the system -- or a certain ring-forging Dark Lord (and don't we all? ) and when the system turns around and delivers the smackdown on these poor hapless people, I think it's a major bummer. Same with Animal Farm, and the Chocolate War. I did like "Anthem," though, much of the same concept as 1984 only with a happier ending.

Quote:
Today I went to buy my books ($$$$), and in one of my classes I had to purchase nine different books. Including Beowulf, The Canterbury Tales, and an anthology that includes British Literature from the Middle Ages to the present (But alas no LOTR). -- Gorwingel
Is this book by any chance called "From Beowulf to Modern British Writers" and compiled by John Ball? If so, I have it and it's awesome.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote