View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 09:18 PM   #27
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
My only reservation, and it is quite a big one, is that frequently students grow to hate any literature studied at school, and as a Tolkien fan, I would hate this to happen.
Well, if you're forced to read a piece of literature five days of the week instead of whenever you wanted to read it, it would become tedious. I know that last year we read A Midsummer Night's Dream and at the start I was rather excited. But when we were done the play and we set it down for the last time, all I could do was heave a sigh of relief. It would probably have been quite a different story if I was allowed to read the play by myself at whatever time I chose to read it, but I was forced to read for about half an hour every school day. It kind of sucks the fun out of reading. I'm actually glad we didn't read any Tolkien books in school, because that could have happened and I may have been turned away from his works. So maybe it's a good thing that many schools don't use Tolkien for compulsory reading.