View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 12:14 PM   #21
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
What's 6th grade? Is that like Year 6, age 10 to 11?
Yes indeedy.

I agree with Feanor; we tend to take a cynical or negative view towards almost everything that is required of us, and schoolwork certainly not the least. I know I have begun most books in English class with dread and boredom, and sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised by the material. And it's been the reverse as well: I thought things boded well for "1984" because it had appendices on language (which is always a good thing!) but alas, I didn't like it at all.

I think the Trilogy Class is a great idea though, and it sounds really fun.

Quote:
In short... I agree that everybody should read LotR, probably because I'm prejudiced in its favor... but I don't think they should be forced to, regardless of the sixty bijillion awesome qualities that the books possess.
Yes, and plus we'd be forced to answer study guide questions on them, and write essays (although the essays I wouldn't mind)... isn't it interesting how the things we gripe about in English class (having to read, reread, and analyze till the sun goes down) are currently going on over at the Chapter-by-chapter section of the books forum, all by our own free will?
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote