View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #19
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I crawled into bed yesterday with the summer flu and am just crawling out again, a bit wobbly but on my feet. I was surprised to see that so much had happened here.

Actually, that sounds like a good idea: to post threads that allow people to put up their own lists, and to make the focus of these lists more precise than the one on the One Ring. I do agree that we need more than one list, and I would also suggest that each list have no more than six to ten spots in ranked order (depending on the list in question). Might as well put people's feet to the fire!

How about this for the lists?
  • most important works which inspired or influenced the writing of LotR/the Legendarium (per Bethberry)
  • those individuals who had the most decisive personal impact on Tolkien in terms of his writings and the creation of Middle-earth
  • those creators and scholars who, following in Tolkien's footsteps, have helped us to better understand the author and his works (per Bethberry but slightly altered).

How does this sound? The third one really covers two angles and I'm not sure if it should be split.

I'll probably do this late Wednesday or Thursday, after I recover from the flu and finish working on some very overdue RPG posts. But I'll check back in to see if folks have any more suggestions.

Of couse, when I post the thread, I would also include my own suggestions. People are welcome to take pot shots--that is, at the list, hopefully not at me! I am curious how much concensus there will be.