View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirithheruwen
I also tried to make a hobbit costume out of khaki capris and a light blue blouse, but I just looked like a teenage girl with her khaki pant rolled up so that her unusually large feet poked out.
Toss the blue blouse if you're wearing khaki breeches. ( Breeches-- get capris at Elfmart for twelve bucks.) Be careful choosing your earth-tones! Hobbits go with all earth-tones & woodsy colors. Browns, green, cream or khaki seem to send the loudest "hobbit here!" message. ( Bilbo's red vest, Frodo going to the Havens in silver and blue, are major exceptions. Frodo was in silver-and-blue because that's what the elves wear on the way to the havens.)

Be on the lookout for (brown, green, cream or khaki) shirts that lace up at the throat or that have embroidered patterns on the chest, or both. Layer over that: hobbit-colored vest. (Thrift stores.) Over that: hobbit-colored jacket. (Mine are cuorderoy, one green, one brown-- & they look fine.)

Cloak is optional (mine's brown) but it does add a lot.

My other indulgences are:
Same shirt & jacket & vest, but with long brown pants, brown socks, brown sandals-- an added cloak suddenly makes the whole thing elvish. Maybe 'cause I'm tall...? I went to RotK wearing that and got enough compliments to make my head swell.

Elvish dresses. Shop judiciously. Most of mine were under thirty dollars, some under twenty. Jewellry-- same thing. Look for celtic knotwork (I avoid the satanic ones!) but even better: look for leaves and flowers. Brooches, earrrings, rings.

After that, it's all in your head. I come to work dressed as either an elf or a hobbit three out of five days. It's just the way I dress. If I wore the cloak, it would be obvious; but if I leave the cloak at home, not many people figure it out.

ps-- I daydream about a "real Mirkwood Tunic". I may have to break down and make one.
I also daydream about making elvish clothes of green and brown and grey so heavily decorated with (very pretty) leaves and trees that they are essentially camo.
But for now, I'll make do with ranger-ish greens and browns.

Last edited by mark12_30; 08-03-2004 at 12:25 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote