View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 12:57 PM   #534
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A small frown creased her brow as she considered his question. Perhaps she was just being foolish in her concern over the escaped creature. Still Sauron had been a maiar, a creature of light at one time, and look at all the suffering and destruction he had caused with his evil ways. ‘It is the lot of us Younger Children of Iluvatar to struggle against wickedness,’ she said, half to herself. ‘We are more easily swayed by its promises, I think.’

She shook her head lightly, the lines of worry slipping from her face as her gaze slid over Uien’s sweet face and came to rest on Derufin. ‘I’ll take Eodwine’s story as a reminder to remain watchful. That’s how I will resolve those fears. They are real enough, I think; shadow will always grow larger where light does not shine on it. This last war was only one battle in a long line of struggles, and not the last. That’s how I will think of it.’ She placed her hands in his. ‘We will have a pleasant and long life in the Shire, you and I. With many children and scores of grandchildren to lean on when we are bent and old. A pleasant life . . . but we will stay watchful . . . and teach them all to be watchful, too . . .’

Uien laughed, a clear bright sound, and gave both Derufin and Zimzi a quick kiss on their cheeks. ‘A promise to you both,’ she said, ‘wherever I find myself, I will be watchful, also.’

A firm voice broke in on their little pact . . .‘Your tea’s a bit cold, you three . . . Cook’s sent me round with refills. Buttercup gathered up their cold mugs and placed them on her tray. ‘Here’s a fresh mug for each of you. Now eat those cookies or Cook’ll think something’s gone wrong with them!’ She passed the plate to each, eyeing them until they’d each taken one. ‘Things always look better with a full stomach. Or so my Gran always said. And I’ve found it to be true!’

The Hobbit hurried on to the next table, her skirts swishing around her legs in her retreat. Behind her came the sound of laughter as they watched her go . . . and the sound of teeth crunching on cookies . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-27-2004 at 01:56 AM.