View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 05:13 PM   #1368
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Praise them with great praise!

Quote:
Congratulations, Alatáriël! I'm following you from an admiring distance, having reached Parth Galen now. On to the next goal...
Many thanks for your good wishes, Estelyn! Will you be off with Frodo and Sam, or will you journey with Aragorn & Company? Or perhaps accompany Merry & Pippin to Fangorn? If you go with F & S, watch out for that nassssty Gollum--he's mighty tricksssy...yessss, preciousss, yessss...very tricksssy indeed!!

“Why, what a dream I’ve had!….But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue? What’s happened to the world?”

I cannot help but smile at the look of bewilderment and incredulous joy on Sam’s face, as he looks from Frodo sleeping beside him, to me sitting on the edge of the next bed, to Gandalf sitting in a chair beside me, and then back again to Frodo. I had felt just the same when I had awoken two days previously. When I had seen that Frodo and Sam were still with me, as well as the wizard that I had long thought dead, it had seemed as if Ilúvatar had heard my wish and allowed me to travel the mortal path beyond the confines of this world. But I soon discovered that it was not so, for Aragorn was also there, as were Legolas and Gimli, and Merry and Pippin.

I heard the tale of our rescue by Gandalf and the great Eagles from the chaos in Mordor that followed the destruction of the Ring and Sauron’s fall. How we had been taken out of the fire and delivered to the edge of the battlefield before the Morannon. How King Aragorn Elessar had put forth all his healing power to call us back to the lands of the living. How we had slept for many days while others had fought the remnants of the Enemy’s army, and all had been removed into Ithilien. I had heard of all that had happened to our Fellowship after our parting on Amon Hen, and a wondrous tale it was…but to me less so than that of my two valiant companions.

In my turn, I told the others of the hardships endured by the halflings, of their courage, their endurance, their compassion, their indomitable spirits. I told how Sam had cared for and supported Frodo all during our journey, but especially during the last days. How Frodo was somehow able to summon his failing strength each day to carry him further towards the Mountain, although the Ring was consuming more and more of his mind and will. How even when all hope had faded, Sam did not falter in his purpose. And how, in the end, it was pity and compassion—the pity of Bilbo in the caves…the pity of Frodo in the Emyn Muil…the pity of Sam on the slopes of Mount Doom—not great armies, nor strength of arms, nor any power of wizards, that enabled the Quest to be fulfilled and the Ring destroyed.

I watch as my two precious friends dress once again in the stained and tattered clothing that they wore as they journeyed through the Black Land, and Gandalf takes their hands to lead them to the King. As they start to walk away, Frodo stops and turns to me, holding out his hand. “Come on, Alatáriël,” he smiles, “the King is waiting.”

I smile back. “I have already spoken to the King, my friend. He is waiting to greet the two of you now. I will join you later for the feasting, never fear.” When they had spoken to me yesterday of their intent, I had told both Aragorn and Gandalf that I did not wish to be included in the public acclaim that was planned. Aragorn had insisted, but I was adamant. This day should belong solely to the Halflings, for theirs was the chief sacrifice and triumph. I had received unexpected support in this from Gandalf, and Aragorn had reluctantly agreed.

I follow quietly behind them as they walk through the beech wood, and I remain under the trees, watching, as Gandalf leads them onto the green field among the host of men. My heart is full as I watch King Elessar kneel to them and then set them upon his throne, and my own voice is lost amid the shouts and cheers of those assembled. And I, like Sam, both laugh and weep as the minstral begins to sing of “Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom”.

The Quest is over, but our journey will continue. I will accompany my friends back to their home in the Shire, or wherever fate may take them in the future. I will not seek the Havens with Elrond and the other folk of Rivendell...not now…for as long as these companions of my heart live in Middle-earth, I shall remain.

“Praise them with great praise!”

--------------------

‘Long live the Halflings! Praise them with great praise!
Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar’ni Pheriannath!
Praise them with great praise, Frodo and Samwise!
Daur a Berhael, Conin en Annûn! Eglerio!
Praise them!
Eglerio!
A laita te, laita te! Andave laituvalmet!
Praise them!
Cormacolindor, a laita tárienna!
Praise them! The Ring-bearers, praise them with great praise!’

On the throne sat a mail-clad man, a great sword was laid across his knees, but he wore no helm. As they drew near he rose. And then they knew him, changed as he was, so high and glad of face, kingly, lord of Men, dark-haired with eyes of grey.

Frodo ran to meet him, and Sam followed close behind. “Well, if this isn’t the crown of all!” he said. “Strider, or I’m still asleep!”

“Yes, Sam, Strider,” said Aragorn. “It is a long way, is it not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me? A long way for us all, but yours has been the darkest road."

And then to Sam’s surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over all the host, crying:

“Praise them with great praise!”

And when the glad shout had swelled up and died away again, to Sam’s final and complete satisfaction and pure joy, a minstral of Gondor stood forth, and knelt, and begged leave to sing. And behold! he said:

“Lo! Lords and knights and men of valour unashamed, kings and princes, and fair people of Gondor, and Riders of Rohan, and ye sons of Elrond, and Dúnedain of the North, and Elf and Dwarf, and greathearts of the Shire, and all free folk of the West, now listen to my lay. For I will sing to you of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom.”

And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for sheer delight, and he stood up and cried: “O great glory and splendour! And all of my wishes have come true!” And then he wept.

And all the host laughed and wept, and in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold, and all men were hushed. And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.