View Single Post
Old 07-25-2004, 01:17 AM   #532
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
‘There you are!’ Derufin juggled two mugs of tea, a pot of honey, and a small plate of walnut and spice cookies. ‘’Cook decided she wanted another swipe at the kitchen’s floor with her mop. So, she’s piled up “something to tide you two over” into my arms and hands, and I’ve been doing a balancing act looking for you.’

Zimzi rose from her chair and took the plate of cookies, teetering on the honey pot out from under Derufin’s chin. Next came the pot, and Uien’s hands reached up to take it. Her eyes lit up at the liquid gold hidden within, recalling her first encounter with it at Cook’s table, long ago . . . or so it seemed.

‘If I’d known you were sitting here with Uien, I would have brought another mug for her.’ Uien reached behind her, picking up her own mug of tea from the table. ‘Well, then, share our cookies with us,’ he said grinning.

‘I asked her about the maiar that Eodwine spoke about.’ Zimzi put her hand lightly on Derufin’s forearm. ‘She tells me that she saw the maiar flee into the east.’ Uien nodded her head as Zimzi spoke.

Derufin shifted in his chair so that he could look Zimzi in the face. ‘And has what she said resolved your fears?’ He put the fingers of one hand beneath her chin, tilting it up so that he might see it fully. His brown eyes considered the deep grey of hers. They held no clouds as he could see, but the shadow of a frown creased her brow lightly as she answered.