View Single Post
Old 07-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #26
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have travelled alone around a fair chunk of the globe, admittedly relatively safe parts and there is no way I would have got further than Bree without major league motivation..I don't think I would have volunteered like Frodo but if you are in a situation you can't avoid you just have to get on with it or die.....and sometimes you surprise yourself

I mean I had a brief teaching career in a "sink" school with a lot of very troubled and difficult kids (until shortly before 50% would have been in special schools because of the level of learning, behavioural and emoptional problems) and basically I couldn't control them at all - absolutely bouncing off the walls. The one day I had them utterly in hand was when there was a bomb scare and I knew and they didn't and in order to protect their safety I had to keep them in control and ignorant of the truth... because if they panicked...it could have been life and death....and somehow despite the fact they could see a stream of police, fire, ambulance and army vehicles entering the school grounds I kept them contained until we could be evacuated safely....

So unless bound by oath, or duty, or the need to protect someone I loved or my own skin... I wouldn't go at all "A coward's soul is mine!"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote