View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Daisy buried her face in her mother's apron, feeling comforted by the tender arms about her. She kept her eyes tightly shut, for she did not want to see the dragon again, but she could imagine it, its large scaled wings spread out, casting a shadow over their once-peaceful home, and its goldeness beautiful but terrifying. Her sensitive mind began to imagine what fates would befall her when the dragon's fire descended upon them, and the tears began to flow faster than before, and she clung to her mother tighter. Yet still she was not wholly terrified, until she remembered that Elian and Cousin Elanor were out rambling together. It was then that fear smote her to her little heart, and she pulled herself away from her mother's embrace, gazing pathetically up into her face.

"Mamma!" she cried. "Mamma, Elian is out there somewhere!"

"I know, darling," said her mother, reaching forward to stroke her daughter's hair. "They will take care of each other and come safe home, and Papa will make sure no harm comes to them."

Daisy shook her head fiercely, the tears frozen on her cheeks. "No, Mamma," she said. "The dragon will see them and kill them." Her voice rose to a shrill scream, for she could envision their deaths clearly in their mind. She couldn't just let them die, yet she was afraid. "They need someone to find them and take them home." A wary look sprang into Esmerelda's eyes, and she took a little step forward. Daisy hopped nimbly back. "Mamma, we have to go look for them."

"Daisy, I would much rather you stay at your aunt and uncle's house," said her mother softly, moving a little closer.

Once again Daisy moved away. She had to help her brother and cousin, for they were in danger and she could not let them die. "No, no, Mamma!" she cried. "They need me to help them." Without further ado, she sprung for the door, and Esmerelda hurried after her. Daisy went through the living room and to the front door, and flung it open, gazing wildly up at the sky. She glanced over her shoulder at her mother's following form, and then sprung off the doorstep into the street.