View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 10:43 PM   #148
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
Usually people who claim to be experts are either rather immature or have little self-worth. When it comes to the maturity thing, they just are not in a phase in their life when they can understand what they are reading. It can happen to eight-year olds and it can happen to fourteen-year olds. Often they feel as though this makes them inferior, so they claim to know a lot about a subject they do not. They think that by seeming to know everything about something like Tolkien's world, they will seem to be more mature than they actually are.
A very valid point. One that I fully support, because when I tried to read LotR when I was eight I failed miserably (I think I got to Shortcut To Mushrooms... o.O). I was fifteen before I finally got around to reading LotR all the way through; possibly, I could have done it before then, but I was in the midst of a HP obsession. But I do understand how some people can't understand certain things at different points in their life. And some people never understand things as long as they live. I, for example, know for a fact that I will never understand any math beyond beginning algebra. I don't really care that I won't. But, fortunately, I am secure enough with myself and my intellectual level that it doesn't bother me, and I don't try to sound like a trig expert when I'm not. I merely revel in the fact that I can catch typos that others can't. *e-vile grin* j/k

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~