View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #476
Fallinel
Pile O'Bones

Fallinel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Fallinel
Njeri

Njeri led Ismitta into the stableyard of the inn, and was greeted politely by the ostler, who had emerged from a large storage room. "Good evening, mi'lady-I'm sorry, I didn't hear you enter the yard immediately. My hearing is sharp, but your horse is not shod, and I'm used to listening for the clatter of iron on cobblestones. I assume that you'll be wanting a stall for that mare of yours-at least one night?"

Njeri nodded, and asked the Hobbit whether there were any rooms available at the inn. "Oh, yes!" he replied, "We always find a room for a weary traveller at the Green Dragon." The Hobbit had walked right up to Ismitta, and was patting the mare's graceful neck gently. Ismitta was calm and kind and loved people, and clearly the Hobbit was comfortable around horses and ponies of all types and temperaments; truly, it was Njeri herself, not the desert mare, who was the reticent and aloof individual.

"She's a beautiful horse, and an unusual color for these parts. I don't think I've ever seen a horse with as pretty a head, and such graceful ears, either. Where did you get her? She's not like any steed of Rohan, or a native Shire pony, or a Gondorian draft horse, or..."

Njeri warmed to the Hobbit, another horse-person who was so excited about a novel breed that his words ran over each other like tumbling seashells in the rough surf. "We both come from Harad, Ismitta and I," said Njeri, "and she is very typical of our horses-smaller than those of Rohan and less swift, but with great endurance, character, and nobility. Her name means 'Daughter of the Mountains of the Moon', and we have been together since she was a young filly. My husband owned Ismitta's older brother, but..." Njeri's voice trailed off, and her eyes took on the faraway look once again.

"Well, mi'lady, I'll take very good care of Ismitta, and make sure that she has plenty of hay and water tonight, with fresh straw in her stall. You'd best enter the inn and get some dinner-you look famished." Njeri thanked the ostler, and walked slowly towards the door of the Green Dragon. Suddenly, the howls of great northern wolves could be heard, and Njeri shuddered involuntarily. They sounded so different from, and much more fierce than, the howls of the small desert wolves of Harad. She pulled her headscarf across the lower part of her face in a defensive gesture.