Thread: Tuor's dream
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Alda
Pile O'Bones

Alda has just left Hobbiton.
Question Tuor's dream

Forgive me if this subject has been brought up before. I searched and found no reference to it. It concerns a paragraph from Unfinished Tales that a friend and I have been discussing, and has become entertaining to dwell on.

After Tuor had received the mantle from Ulmo, and was seeking shelter from the storm that raged against the walls of Nevrast, the story says he "sat nightlong in the stone seat of Turgon".

Quote:
Yet being weary he slept at times, and his sleep was troubled with many dreams, of which naught remained in waking memory save one: a vision of an isle, and in the midst of it was a steep mountain, and behind it the sun went down, and shadows sprang into the sky; but above it there shone a single dazzling star.
Was this the Isle of Numenor that Tuor was dreaming about? A vision of The Land of Gift, before the gift was given? Could the dazzling star he sees be Earendil?

What I have found most entertaining is mulling over the possible origins of the dream. Did Tuor posess foresight? Was the dream a boon granted by Ulmo? My heart skipped a beat when I thought of the possibility that Olorin might have provided the vision.

Well just some thoughts, any ideas on the subject would be appreciated.

Last edited by Alda; 07-05-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote