View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 07:27 PM   #22
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haunting Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Kings

-----------------------------------------
Quothe Lindil:
I agree that maedhros would not have been King of all the Noldor prior to the arrival of Fingolfin and co. , as Finarfin was king of the Noldor in Valinor.
--------------------------------------------

(Ignoring the Noldor who remained in Valinor under the rule of Finarfin)
Fingolfin had most of the Noldor with him and accepting his rule. Maedhros would just have been in charge of the Feanorian Noldor. He did not rule nor was he acknoweldged as the lord of majority of the Noldor. JRRT wrote that after Feanor's death the ovelordship of the Noldor passed to Fingolfin (see above posts for cite).

Quothe Lindil:
I can not but see that Maedhros would have been, if only for a brief time King of the Noldor of Beleriand.
There was no contest of this until the remaining Noldor arrived.

That he ruled a certain segment of the Noldor (the Feanorians) after the death of Feanor is not disputed. What seems to be being discussed (or what I have been addressing) is not whether Maedhros was '_A_ King of the Noldor', but rather '_THE_ King of the Noldor', upon the death of Feanor. He only relinquished his _claim_ to being _THE_ King (in favour of Fingolfin's more 'rightful' claim), not the kingship itself (which he did not have.

--------------------------------
Quote:
The term High-King of the Noldor would not belong to him as there had been no setting up of seperate kingdoms as in the time of the seige
-----------------------------------

Quite right. Even Finwe was not High King of the Noldor. He was 'Noldoran', King of the Noldor, as there were not seperate kingdoms under his rule. Fingolfin was the first High King of the Noldor (which is an exilic title). Oddly enough I posted a similar statement on anothe board where I am having this debate an hour or so ago.

</p>