View Single Post
Old 06-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #31
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I've been rather "out-of-the-loop" in the last two weeks, but I'm back now and hoping to resume participation once I have done my "homework" and caught up on all the posts.

Quote:
And about the number of times that the more senior (older?) (arthritic?) members of the Downs have read the books: not all of us have read them annually over decades.
Hehe. I'm with Bb on this one. This time round will probably be about the fifth or sixth time that I have read the book, and I have only read it once previously in the past 15 years or so (which is why I am so relishing the opportunity of reading it again). Much of my background knowledge (such as it is) has been gleaned from reading, and contributing to, the threads on this forum.

As for the style of posts, I think that everyone should post in the style with which they feel comfortable (txtspk excepted ). If you have something of substance to say, it doesn't really matter how you say it (provided that it is intelligible, of course, and I don't see that being a problem here). As for "academic" style posting, there are (as has been said) dictionaries available on-line. And if you still don't understand what someone is trying to say, then don't be afraid to question it. I am sure that no one here will take exception to being asked to clarify their point (and I can think of many, myself included, who would relish the opportunity ... ).