View Single Post
Old 06-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #18
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thorvel had listened intently to what Calenvása said. There was little that he had not already known or figured out; the only thing he did not understand was the little exchange between the Captain and Lómarandil. Clearly something had happened, and though he was curious Thorvel did not push it. It was the young elf’s news, however, that caught Thorvel’s interest.

“I heard the orcs near to where I watched the army speaking, and I discovered the army’s route. They are to attack Lorien,” said Lómarandil. Thorvel had mixed feelings about this. On one hand, he was glad that the enemy’s plan of attack had been discovered, but he wished it had been any other elf besides Lómarandil to discover this. Thorvel got along with Lómarandil all right, but he didn’t like the younger elf’s arrogance, and Thorvel supposed this would only add fuel to the fire. In addition to that, Thorvel didn’t trust him. Not that he trusted very many people, but though he appreciated Lómarandil’s skills as a scout, there was something about him that made Thorvel wary.

Thorvel was starting to get impatient to speak after listening to Calenvása and Lómarandil speak. He determined that he would be next, whether someone else had something to say or not. Then Calenvása turned to him, as if expecting him to speak. He stood up straighter from where he had been all but leaning against a tree; he could feel the other Elves’ eyes on him.

“I think,” he said, “that though we know their general plan, we actually know very little of what they plan to do. They’re going to attack Lothlórien. This tells us little; it was either that or Mirkwood. What we need to know is how they are going to do that. And why so many? And with Southrons? Is this attack somehow more important than the others that they have led? These are the things that I think we need to know, and if at all possible, the elves of Lórien should be alerted. If this huge army were to come upon them at unawares, I should hate to think of the devastating loss that would then most likely ensue. There must be some small way that we can help them.” There. He had said it. He had no personal ties to Lothlórien - he had never even been there - but the thought of an Orkish victory made his blood boil, whether against Elves, Men, even Dwarves. Orcs were Orcs, and he hated them.

He realized it was starting to get warm, and shifted slightly into the shade of his tree. He realized it was nearing mid-day already, and what were they doing but sitting here and talking. Discussing important things of course, but talking nonetheless, while the Orc army was out there. He hoped they would finish talking and take some action soon. He settled himself grimly and waited to hear if there was anything anyone else had to say, and what Calenvása would make of it.

Last edited by Firefoot; 06-18-2004 at 01:10 PM.