View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #156
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Pardon me, but I just realized how dreadfully illiterate my last post in this thread was. Oh, the blatant horror! I believe that was written in a drunken state (Vodka and Tolkien do not mix, m'lads). But now, I shall return to this thread with somethings a bit more on the literate end of the spctrum. Inform me instantaneously if these have been done before and I did not notice...

Lord of the Rings by George Orwell
~TA 3019: Big Balrog is Watching You~

The eye followed him, as it almost always did, the fiery eye, lidless and surrounded by prongs of fire that always struck deep into empty hearts, the ones that had fallen into that eye's thrall. Situated neatly at the terminating pinnacle of Barad-dur, the eye scanned its lands with malevolent greed, overlooking every orcish warren, every uniform apartment complex, every cubicle of living quarters for each miserable, wretched servant to the whims of Sauron. The eye, tempting and tantalizing to those wavering, unquestioning individuals who bowed their heads each day to it, swivelled in its place between two great and jagged daggers of metal, its pupil tracing the rocky countryside as an inspector would.

Argluk, a charcoal-skinned uruk of the Gorgoroth strand, genetically, leaned against the icy ebony metal of Cirith Ungol's walls, trying as hard as his feeble brain could accomodate not to look at the rectangular, smoother device that had been set precariously into the far wall. Though the screen was inevitably blank, Argluk had never entertained the thought that it was not staring directly at him, since all his days of conditioning, at what little teaching he had recieved taught him that every one of the palantiscreens was looking directly at him and no one else. The other students in his class had been told the same, that the palantiscreens focused on them, but Argluk was sure that this had just been a ruse used by his clever teacher to distract them, for it was simply obviopous that the blank screens, pools of liquid black, had been looking directly at him since the day he'd been born. He would not hear anyone question the matter, for it would be easily dismissable as a Gondorohanian lie if he was told otherwise.

He got up, slowly, though his legs were obviously trying to tell him otherwise, and walked across the room. Though he was trying not to look suspicious, he knew that trying not to look suspicious was more suspicious than being suspicious in the first place. Far away from the complex he strolled through, a cloaked man withh gauntleted fingers steepled before him, hood low over his head, sitting in a plush chair in the Department of Tenderness (better known as Minas Morgul) was watching him, him and only him, waiting for him to do something wrong...

Lord of the Rings by Joseph Conrad
~Shooting an Oliphaunt~

The sun, a luminous sphere, hovering delicately like some porcelain mobile rotating mellifluously in the oceanic heavens, began to crest the sloping horizon slowly, oozing into its familiar arc over the dappled sky, littered with the visage of many obstreperous clouds. Pellets of aimless rain caressed the front of my helm, sliding over the shimmering metal and leaving it with an impassive sheen that reflected the vague flashes of thundrous energy that resonated with reserved quietness behind the clouds' wreathing cape, overshadowing the temporary bursts of light. The crystalline droplets, sprinkling ungrateful earth with lively briskness, continued to speckle the landscape, shrugging off the ominous rumblings that swelled with dank fervor in the billowing smog distant.

As I walked, muddy earth fluctuating weakly beneath the worn soles of my boots, my dark brow was knitted and focused diligently upon the rough beast that stood, braying with an inborn fury, between the creaking stumps of monstrous trees not far off. My gloved hand, wrapped in leathery gloves and bound with tattered cloth, moved speedily to the familiar feel of my primary device, the unstrung bow of furnished, splinter-less oak that hung in neglect at my left shoulder, humming in a fashion that suggested I should pick it up. I heard the call, as so often I did, and hummed with it, thinking back to the veil that had descended over my past, the stinging pangs, poisoned and venemous, emitting gentle chimes within me to protest my actions as I plucked the wooden bow from my back and tugged fiercely upon the cord I was required to attatch. It was, as always, a process wrought with the thumping drum of tedium, which only added to my distraction.

All that I knew was, the Oliphaunt must be taken down and I, not caring of the many hapless, unwary men who lurked and scurried across the disigured hulk set upon its rough-skinned back, must be the one to take it down. As my fingers, cold and numbed by ill weather and ill worries, anxiety pulsing against the innards of my skull, found the shaft of the arrows slid into my reverberating quiver, I pulled the bolt from its holdings and set it upon my cupped hand, aiming it with acute precision as I leveled it, using each of the bow's numerous notches, at the beast. Without hesitation, a thousand fiery thoughts coursing through my mind and resounding as church bells would in a silent land, I let loose and watched the arrow fly...

Lord of the Rings by P.G. Woodhouse
~What ho, Erkenbrand!~

It was a cold day in the Westfold; so cold, in fact, that the furry creatures of the plains had taken to killing each other and manufacturing fur coats from the remains that would've turned Edoras high society invariably green with envy. Thec trees swayed foolishly, some of the younger ones rebelling against their more experienced peers and attempting to sway in the opposite direction, but the harsh justicator of wind soon put them all in their place and the trees, sighing mournfully, returned to their melancholy conformity.

Pushing aside his satin tent flap with a pale, smooth hand, Dunhere walked into the crisp breeze and sucked in a deep breath of the gentle natural wonder, pausing to spit out a rogue insect that had been basking carelessly. Flicking strands of grass from his gleaming breastplate of peacock-colored, gaudy hue that brightened and darkened so many wizened faces that glanced at him with pallid expressions as he passed, shaking their heads sadly as his own oversized cranium remained elevated, never deiging to look down on the others until he saw the only man he felt he could twist a few neglected vertebrae to look upon.

"Jolly good day, eh Erky?" he said, a cocky smile peeling across his face as the men behind him broke into peals of raucous giggling which, somehow, he didn't notice.

Erkenbrand was sitting, squat legged, beside the dead embers of what had been a roaring fireplace, sipping a chalice of smoky tea cupped between his index and middle finger conservatively and taking momentary breaks to take in ample draughts from his pipe and puff out melodious rings of fine, gray gas. "Indeed, sir, it is a fine day," he said at last, driving the conversation further into nowhere than it had been a moment ago, "Expect we'll be on the trail of the Hun again, yes?"

"Oh yes," murmured Dunhere, squatting beside his technical commander, "I don't doubt we'll be a-catching on up to the Mordor devils afore the day is out. And then we'll have a fine little bout with 'em and report back to ol' Kingy. He'll be pleased a-plenty with the job we did, wot."

"I have it, sir," replied Erkenbrand, his brow severely knitted as his spoke, nursing his libations, "from very good authority, that 'Kingy' has not been right in the head lately. Perhaps he should be duly avoided, simply until we recieve news to the contrary. T'would not be a good idea to disturb master Theoden in the troes of insanity." Dunhere shot him one of those accustomed are-you-sure-you're-not-the-one-who's-crazy? looks and nodded studiously, shaking his head when Erkenbrand's turned.

"Not right in the head? That'll be Wormtongue puttin' lies in his head, it will. Seeing as how you seem to have the know of things, we'll stick out here. We can head on down to the Hornburg in a day or so, say 'ello to that chap, Gamling, and have a jolly dip in the Entwash." Erkenbrand responded with a curt gesture of the head and slowly mounted his tired legs after Dunhere hopped nimbly onto his own. In a flash, with a veritable train of half-sleeping Rohirrim behind them, they were off...

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote