View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 03:16 PM   #51
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Verily, if you are not you as you are elsewhere, it is because you are playing, assuming a role? But that?s what I (we?) do all the time in so called ?real? life too.
Heren, but would this really be putting on a mask, assuming a role, pretending you're an entirely different personality, or would this merely be showing more one aspect of your personality that you think the particular group of people will enjoy most? I don't like to put on a mask whether in 'real' life or online; I feel as though I'm denying myself in a way. But I do focus on letting on aspect of my personality show more than another. Here, on the Barrow-Downs, I let my love for Tolkien and his works show more than I do in 'real' life because that's what the place is about. At a baseball game I show more of my love for baseball, and while singing in choir I show more my love of singing and music. But none of these are different roles, they are me but different parts of me brought forth more in that situation than in another situation. Perhaps this is what you are saying but then 'mask' would be an inappropriate word because it is something one hides behind. Assuming a role gives the impression of 'putting on an act.' What would be the correct word for what I'm trying to say?