Thread: Fond memories
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2004, 09:10 AM   #20
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'm not so sure that this qualifies as a "fond" memory, but it is one that will remain with me for a long time.

Just before the debut of FotR, I was contacted by a local company and asked if I would be willing to make a brief presentation at their Christmas party. I had just finished teaching a general interest course on LotR and the local paper had interviewed me about the book as a bit of a build up to the movie. The idea was, the company executive board was going to have a reception before the film, then go to see it, and they wanted me to talk for 20-30 minutes about the themes etc in the book, then all traipse off together to watch it.

I live in a pretty small city, so this company is a big deal, and they were able to get the movie theatre to reserve the best seats in the house for them. The upshot of this was, I got to see the movie for free AND get the best seat in the house without having to wait in line AND get paid a small honorarium for the privilege!

Yes, yes, I know -- I have heard it all before, you all hate me, that was totally unfair. . .but wait for the rest of the anecdote.

At any event, as we got closer to the date of the movie, the movie theatre management got wind of the plan and thought it would be a good idea to have me make my presentation to the entire audience in the theatre rather than just to the board at their reception. The executive thought this was a great idea, and since they were paying me, I went along with it.

You can all pretty much imagine what happened…

The night of the film, all those who had been waiting in line for the entire day got in to the theatre to see that the best seats in the house had been reserved. Just 10 minutes before the movie began, the executive – and I – came in and plunked ourselves down in the seat. And THEN at precisely 8:00, when everyone is expecting the movie to begin, the theatre manager gets on a microphone and tells them all that there is a special treat for them: a 20 minute talk by a Tolkien expert.

Oh yeah, that was a popular move.

Sensing the mood of the crowd (which wasn’t difficult) I rushed through what I had to say in about 10 minutes and then ran for my seat.

At least the movie was brilliant!
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote