View Single Post
Old 06-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #260
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ruby and Buttercup

‘Hmmph!’ said Ruby, catching up with Buttercup. ‘I saw you wink at that cheeky Hobbit!’

Buttercup flounced her skirts as she pushed open the doors to the kitchen and gave Ruby a wicked smile. ‘And why shouldn’t I? You know you’re dying to do the same, Miss High-and-mighty!’ Ruby’s cheeks bore two spots of high color as she followed after her friend. Buttercup pulled her into the kitchen quickly, shutting the door firmly behind them. ‘Cheeky, he is,’ she said, laughing at the flummoxed Ruby. ‘I’ll give you that. And puffed up like a big bullfrog during spring courting at The Pool!’ She took Ruby by the hands and twirled the both of them about in a circle.

‘Admit it, though, he’s a fair one to look on. And fun to do a bit of flirting with. We don’t get many of those passing through here, now do we? The local lads are more interested in pipeweed and the bottoms of their flagons and well . . .’

‘And well . . . a lass needs a bit more excitement than that, doesn’t she?’ said Ruby, grinning broadly as she caught her friend’s drift. She opened the cupboard door and brought down a pretty little teapot with a bouquet of Shire flowers painted on it. ‘Here,’ she said, depositing the pot in Buttercup’s hands. ‘You bring the tea to Uien. And mind you she likes honey with it.’

Ruby pushed her curls behind her ears and smoothed her skirt. To the amusement of Buttercup she grabbed the bottle of vanilla and added a small dab of the sweet liquid to each of her wrists. She fetched several bowls on a tray along with a basket of cut bread and a crock of sweet butter. Utensils she piled in a mug, and last, filled a tureen with savory rabbit and taters stew. Calling for one of the other servers to follow her with a large pitcher of ale and more mugs she sailed out the door toward the adventurers’ table.

It was all Buttercup could do to keep up with her. She composed her face as best she could when she came to the table, though one eyebrow crept high on her forehead at her friend’s antics. Ruby was fussing about, seeing to everyone, ladling out generous portions of stew . . . and all the while smiling quite prettily at Falco.