View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 06:59 PM   #160
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Liornung sprang forward with a cry of joy, delighting that Maercwen had been found. She put out her hand and gave the bracelet to him. "Here, uncle," she said, and nothing more. He took it and fingered it carefully before looking up at her. "Why did you return here without seeking my permission first?" he demanded.

"I did, uncle, and you gave it." She stared up at him in bewilderment and he passed a hand over his brow, saying, "There has been some confusion here, I think. Never mind. We will clear it later."

"Uncle... Jesia says you fear this bracelet because you do not understand it. Is this so?"

Liornung gazed thoughtfully at the bracelet, running his finger over it. "I told you already, Mae," he said. "I do not understand it. I do not fear it, either. I merely do not like it. I told you... I do not believe that a mere trinket can change man's fate. Besides, your parents would not approve of such enchantments. Let us leave it at that for now. Did you learn what it said?"

"Yes, and Jesia has bid me tell Hearpwine as well." Mae turned her eyes to the young man. "'He who sings scares away his woes.' That is what the inscription says."

"And very true, Mae. Nevertheless I do not like a niece of mine dealing in enchantments."

"I see." Maercwen touched it and frowned slightly. Then, sighing, she took it from her uncle and held it out to Jesia. "Will you take it then?" she asked. "I would not disobey my uncle."