View Single Post
Old 05-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #127
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Settlers: Collothion

The shouts of battle finally reached the ears of the old healer, and he woke with a start. His eyes were still blurry and his head thick as he stumbled from his low bed and peaked outside his tent. A thick black smoke billowed from the center of the village and men all around him were engaged in battle with Hillmen. His head cleared with one thought…Cuilad!

Collothion ducked underneath his tent and took hold of his old sword, then he leapt back in to the open air and began running through the village calling his son’s name. Only once did an enemy step in his way and challenge him. With the fury and strength of a wild bear the old healer rammed into the young man knocking him to the ground. Wishing not for battle but for the safety of his son, Collothion let them man live, but took his sword, tucked it in his own belt, and kept running.

The healer searched the tents one by one still calling, “Cuilad! Cuilad!” He threw open the door of the trading post and faced a bewildered Kaben. “Is Cuilad in here, Kaben? Have you seen him?” Kaben did not speak, but shook his head negatively, and Collothion spun and exited the establishment.

On his way out, a fallen villager called out for help, and Collothion rushed to his side. “Help me, please.” The young man pleaded. The healer could not refuse, but he looked up into the crowd searching for his boy as he helped the man rise and half carried him to a nearby tent.

“Let me take a good look at that wound.” The healer gently pulled the man’s shirt from his side where a large about of blood was escaping. “This is a nasty gash, but you will survive.” The young man winced as Collothion squeezed water from a barrel in the tent over the wound. He then quickly tore the sleeve from his own shirt and tied it around the young man’s waist. “Stay here and don’t go out. I will check on you again when I can.”

With that Collothion ducked under the tent’s opening and stepped outside. Placing his hand on his own waist, he had almost forgotten about the weapon he took from the young Hillman, so he pulled out the sword and opened the door of the tent where the young man lay. “I forgot this. I hope the need does not find you, but use it if the occasion arises.”

The young man nodded and gratefully took the sword. Collothion then shut the entrance and continued on his search for Cuilad.