View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #61
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
At the Poros settlement

As soon as Anhelm arrived at the settlement and had Astalder's wounds seen to, he wasted no time in preparing the settlement for an attack.

The entirety of the settlement's military staff was activated, and some capable young men who were not actually in the military. Anhelm suspected that one or two of the "lads" was actually a lass, but he did not say anything. They needed all the hands they could get.

In the small makeshift armory, Anhelm was getting suited up. As he pulled on his leather gauntlets he listened with half an ear to some older office worker talk at him about the numbers of swords and bows and arrows that the Poros defense had at its disposal. The numbers did not sound good, but the young captain was fairly sure that they could cope.

"Tell Astalder that as soon as he feels up to it, I would like to speak with him," Anhelm said, interrupting the man. The man stammered for a moment, then nodded and darted off.

Anhelm closed his eyes and took several deep breaths. "Let me fight well," he said softly. "Let me avenge my father. Let me defend my people.

"And give me the courage to die if need be."