View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #7
Hot, crispy nice hobbit
Wight

Hot, crispy nice hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Of Trolls and Clothes... and Morgoth's big mistake

Trolls wear clothes! In the Hobbit, they have got pockets in which they keep purses! The reason why Bilbo was captured by William is because he tried to pickpocket him, remember? Then again we are told that the clothes themselves turn to stone!

Quote:
He held out a largish key, though no doubt William had thought it very small and secret. It must have fallen out of his pocket, very luckily, before he was turned to stone.
I had been very irked at this statement, particularly the words, "very luckily". You see, if William's clothes did not turn to stone, they would be able to search the stoned trolls for loot and stuff. Apparently, the dropping of the key was "lucky", simply because the clothes, including the pocket and the stuff inside, are now inaccessible to the party!

Which leads me to another fancy: did Prof Morgy designed those clothes as well?

"This fabric is so soft and silky!" - female troll customer
"Of course! It is Angband Cement, imported from the far north..." female troll attendant

On the other hand, it just struck me that since Morgoth wore the Silmarili inside of Angband for an entire age, it must be bright as broad daylight in the bowels of his foul fortress/laboratory every day for an entire age! I have to agree with Olorin_TLA that it is pure torture!

"Arrgh! Just get out of my sight! This room is bright enough!" Prof Morgy to blindfolded Balrogs