View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #239
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Atharen thought quickly. "Miss Lhunaro, put your shawl over your hair and hunch as if you are an old woman. Wrap it around covering your hair and mouth."

Not waiting to see if she did as he bid her, but knowing that she would if she had any sense, the ranger rose to meet the man's dark blue gaze. "What business do you have with Lady Maen?" he seconded after Ferethor, his voice courteous and blank, giving nothing away.

"Where is she?" The stranger repeated, apparently oblivious, haughtily looking away, his eyes searching their table. He took a few steps forward and Atharen put one hand on his sword hilt. It was not a violent motion, but somehow the way he executed it made sure that every man in the room knew that his hand was on a weapon that he knew how to use very well.

"She is not here at the moment," Atharen replied after a second, not turning to see whether Maen had covered her head - he knew she would have done. "We-"

"Oh, don't give me that!" The man sneered, stepping forward regardless. "A woman cried out and you expect me to believe that there is no woman in your company - finely thought out, sir." The last word was spat out mockingly. Atharen didn't flinch.

"That was me," a soft voice replied. Crystal stepped out towards Atharen from the shadows that had somehow stopped her from being seen. Atharen noted again with some admiration her complete ability to make herself utterly unseen when she wanted to. "I cried out because the wind when you came in startled me."

The man now turned his gaze on Crystal and he sneered. "A woman travelling in only the company of men? A fine lady you are, I am sure..." he trailed off.

"This is my fiancee and travelling partner, Miss Fallowheart, and nothing of what you insinuate!" Atharen's voice had started quietly but now, to his surprise, he found it rising. He slipped his arm into Crystal's easily, as if it was natural, and she moved a little closer to him. If he hadn't been so angry he probably would have been lost for words, and as it was it was only with the greatest self-restraint that he stopped himself from looking at her. His temper was still rising though. "You will not doubt the goodness of myself or my companions."

The man glared at him as if he was dirt and started forward, his own right hand going to his belt as he threateningly approached their table. "You will stop right there!" Atharen raised his voice, his tone dangerous.